The Ends of Art Criticism
Published by Lund Humphries, 2021
Crisis? What Crisis? At a time where there are repeated claims of the impending demise of art criticism, The Ends of Art Criticism dispel these myths by arguing that the lack of a single dominant voice in criticism is not, as some believe, a weakness, but a strength, allowing previously marginalised voices and new global and political perspectives to come to the fore.
Patricia Bickers speaks with Pierre d’Alancaisez about her time as the editor of Art Monthly, the changing role of art criticism, the politics of speaking and writing about art, the art school, the relationship between artists and critics, the academicisation of critical discourse, the relationship between art history and criticism, and.. the art of the interview.
Some of the works mentioned in the conversation:
- The Freeze exhibitions
- That Jerry Saltz tweet
- Richard Serra, Weight and Measure
- Danielle Brathwaite-Shirley, Black Trans Archive
- Pilvi Takala, The Trainee
- Cameron Rowland, 3 & 4 Will. IV c. 73
- The Art Monthly Talking Art anthology of artist interviews: Volume 1, Volume 2